So pleased to hear that some children have already had a go at their number bonds board games. Just a reminder that all P3 and P4 pupils have two games: one for addition facts and one for subtraction. The aim is that children can instantly recall facts to 5 or facts to 10, whether they be addition or subtraction. Practice and repetition is therefore key to being secure in these facts.
Some ideas to support your child:
- Get 5 or 10 objects (cubes, pieces of pasta, etc) so that they can work out the answer practically
- Encourage them to use their fingers to work out the answer
- Let them draw the problem to work it out
Some ideas to challenge your child:
- Use post-its to cover up the facts and change these to a mixture of addition/ subtraction facts within the same game: e.g. 10 – ? = 7
- Add a timed element: you must answer within 3 seconds when it’s your turn. If you don’t, the next player has a turn
- When they answer correctly, can they give you the inverse (opposite) fact? For example: If they know that 5 + 5 = 10, can they also tell you that 10 – 5 = 5
On Monday we will be seeing how fast we are at recalling facts. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any queries.
Miss Costa 🙂