Our new country this week is BRAZIL. This morning we used Padlet to post our new learning about Brazil. The children used Google as a search engine to research facts about location, culture, food and culture.
Whilst that was happening, we were also busy making Brazilian truffles… seemingly they are supposed to be very sticky and lumpy. I promise I will work on my cooking/ baking ability for next week.
It was lots of fun and we are enjoying learning about lots of different places.
So pleased to hear that some children have already had a go at their number bonds board games. Just a reminder that all P3 and P4 pupils have two games: one for addition facts and one for subtraction. The aim is that children can instantly recall facts to 5 or facts to 10, whether they be addition or subtraction. Practice and repetition is therefore key to being secure in these facts.
Some ideas to support your child:
- Get 5 or 10 objects (cubes, pieces of pasta, etc) so that they can work out the answer practically
- Encourage them to use their fingers to work out the answer
- Let them draw the problem to work it out
Some ideas to challenge your child:
- Use post-its to cover up the facts and change these to a mixture of addition/ subtraction facts within the same game: e.g. 10 – ? = 7
- Add a timed element: you must answer within 3 seconds when it’s your turn. If you don’t, the next player has a turn
- When they answer correctly, can they give you the inverse (opposite) fact? For example: If they know that 5 + 5 = 10, can they also tell you that 10 – 5 = 5
On Monday we will be seeing how fast we are at recalling facts. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any queries.
Miss Costa 🙂
We’ve made our masks, we’ve chosen our superhero names and our special powers…now it’s on to creating our superhero gadgets!