I am thrilled to announce that I have managed to purchase a Kano Computer Kit for every child in Class 2. Kano is a DIY computer kit designed to help people of all ages assemble a computer from scratch, and learn basic coding skills. In an era of fast technological innovation, there is a growing necessity for children not only to know how to use the connected world, but also to understand how to utilise all of these things in new, innovative, untested and unusual ways.
Here are some reasons why I want the children to learn how to code:
- Code is one of the world’s most widely used languages
- Connected devices are already reshaping our world
- Kids learn better and faster when they’re young
- Coding is creativity unleashed
- Problem solving and critical thought
- The wonders of storytelling through code
I intend to allow children to take their device home in a new home-school project initiative. I hope this will inspire them to push the boundaries of their creativity and innovation. Obviously, this is a cutting edge approach, but I know if any class in the Highlands can rise to the challenge, it is Team Daviot’s Class 2 children. The kits should be delivered within a week. We can’t wait!
For more information about Kano, click the link below – or click the video above.